Saturday, April 12, 2008

HAKUNA FRITTATA

I eat eggs all the time. Sometimes I eat them twice a day. Love, love, love eggs, especially because they always come to the rescue when I’m looking for a delicious and nutritious dinner that won’t take hours to make. The Mister and I had been unpacking and organizing the new place and though I had intended making coq au Riesling, it just wasn’t meant to be. So, I searched my fridge and pantry and thought, “Of course! Frittata!” I had Italian sausage, spinach, potatoes, onions, and garlic, but really, you can toss in whatever you like – although this combination was stellar…and reminded me a little bit of pizza.

Here’s what you do:

Remove the casing from the sausage and cut into chunks.


Cook until brown in an oven-safe non-stick pan – make sure it is completely cooked through, no pink spots, please.
Put sausage aside in a bowl.


In the same pan, cook some sliced onion in a bit of olive oil over medium heat. While that’s going on, thinly slice a potato and toss it in the pan along with the onions. Season generously with salt + pepper. Cover the pan and allow the steam to cook the potatoes.


Meanwhile, in a separate pan, sauté fresh spinach (I used about half of a 10 oz. bag) in a little olive oil and season. I like to add about ½ tsp. of minced garlic, as well. Place spinach in bowl with sausage, and, with kitchen shears, trim it to avoid having frittata with long straggly greens (this is my mom’s trick).



Crack 6 eggs into a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper and whisk.
Preheat your broiler.


By this time the potatoes will be ready. Decrease the heat to low, add the reserved spinach and sausage, and, while whisking, pour the eggs into the pan.


Make sure the eggs evenly cover your mixture, but don’t stir – just allow the eggs to sit and set over low heat.


When only the top remains runny, place pan in oven… and if you have an oven light, turn it on and watch as the top puffs and browns in glorious little hills. Once golden, pull out, plate, and eat!

No comments: