Thursday, April 3, 2008

SO LONG, FAREWELL

The Mister and I up and moved to Boston this week, so the past month was spent in chaos and confusion, both physical and spiritual. We packed. And boxed. And taped. And wrapped. And styrofoamed. And labeled. And stacked. And screamed. Well, I guess I did most of the screaming. You get the picture. It was practically impossible to cook during this difficult time and so the blog went neglected. Mostly we ate eggs and cereal and things not worth writing about.

Although, for our last Friday night in town I took a field trip to Brooklyn, home of The Bedford Cheese Shop where it is all beautiful cheese and imported goodies, and most importantly: SUGAR PLUMS!















I bought three different kinds of cheese, the first, a wonderfully gooey raw cow’s milk (whose name I am sadly blanking on right now, but when it comes to me, I will note it) cheese that was like a walk through the woods after a cold soaking rain, all earth and moss with here and there a hint of flowers and mahogany. The rind looked just like birch wood, damp and speckled brown. Overall, the experience was heady and intense and I felt transported to some chapter of the Chronicles of Narnia – despite being surrounded by most detestable and unattractive cardboard boxes rather than fragrant firs.



There was also a little wheel of goat cheese that I bought at the cheese guy’s suggestion. I couldn’t taste it prior to purchase, so I threatened to return if it didn’t live up to his praises. “I’ll street fight you,” he returned. Happily, there was no need to resort to violence, as the cheese was magnificent. The rind was thickly wrinkled suede that gave way to a delicate, meaty interior that reminded me of pâté.



OK, now I need to interrupt my reverie and return to the SUGAR PLUMS! If you’ve read my earlier posts you will know that I love Christmas…the carols, the cookies, THE NUTCRACKER. It is all The Mister can do to keep me from wearing white tights and patent leather Mary Janes when we go to the ballet to see it. If you’re at all familiar with The Nutcracker, you will know all about the delightful Sugar Plum Fairy, so picture if you will, the raptures I went into when I discovered that there is an actual thing as a SUGAR PLUM! I won’t go into too much detail about them, because I think the fact that there is a Fairy named after them is description enough.

SUGAR PLUMS!!!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Yay! you're back. I'm telling Mrs. Loudshoes.

Mrs. Loudshoes said...

The Big Liver Girl alerted me to your return....love your blog! I have GOT to get me to that cheese shop. Chevre? AND sugar plums??? Sounds like a fist full o' happiness.

High Heels & Frijoles said...

Hello girls! Yes, I'm back. I'm visiting my mom, but will be back home tomorrow. I have a new camera and took pictures of the cheese and sugar plums; I'll upload them - they are AMAZING!

HHF